National Transit Institute
The Transit Academy is a comprehensive, behind-the-scenes study of a major transit system. It is designed to provide those new to transit with an in-depth understanding of the scope of responsibilities, variety of skills and range of activities that work together in delivering safe and efficient transit service. The academy is presented using lectures, demonstrations, hands-on activities and facility tours. Key transit agency personnel serve as instructors ready to share their knowledge and experience – you’ll learn from those who do the work. The program covers the broad range of responsibilities and functions found in a major transit system – literally transforming the entire organization into a learning laboratory.
This four and a half day academy program is intended for professionals and decision-makers new to the transit industry and those who can benefit from an in-depth exposure to transit and its people.
• See firsthand what is required to operate a transit agency
• Understand how the many functions winthin an agency work together to deliver transit service
• Participate in briefings and discussions, led by transit leaders, about critical issues affecting transit
• Learn how public policy decisions affect the functioning and needs of a transit agency
• Hands on experience visiting bus, train or light rail operations facilities and control centers
• Touring bus/train/light rail maintenance facilities
• Visit major multimodal interchange points
• Gain First Hand Experience By: Interacting with key agency staff in informal discussions throughout the program
• Riding the transit system to gain valuable insight relating to routes and schedules