Comanche Nation Transit is currently hiring for Bus Operator. Please find more details here:
Director of Transportation
May 19, 2022
Oversees and directs the operation of the Transportation Department which currently includes Safety & Training as well as Security. Responsible for ensuring the transit system runs efficiently, safely, on time, and adheres to departmental budget and other performance targets.
- Oversee functions and daily activities of the Transportation Department. This includes in-house as well as contracted operations as maybe assigned.
- Supervise department administration in all areas.
- Establish rules and work methods for the department.
- Prepare and/or analyze daily and monthly reports.
- Ability to tabulate and analyze performance and financial data, recognize trends, and create and execute a plan of action, when necessary.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing; must be comfortable in making presentations to the Board of Trustees, employees, and outside groups as assigned.
- Coach, counsel, and/or administer necessary disciplinary action with Transportation management and/or staff in the assigned department.
- Investigate and respond to employee/union grievances and complaints, participate in arbitration hearings, unemployment hearings, and attend trials as necessary.
- Provide employee development assistance through performance evaluation, counseling, and merit reviews.
- Ensure all departmental employees’ compliance with bargaining unit agreement, company policies and procedures, and state and federal laws.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and maintaining appropriate staffing levels in assigned unit within the Transportation Department.
- Responsible for employee retention in the Transportation Department and being proactive in providing opportunities to boost employee morale.
- Assist in all Transportation areas when there is a manpower shortage (i.e., dispatching, driving, training, etc.)
- Oversee all activities involving the response and investigation of accidents and incidents.
- Ability to respond to emergencies at any time.
- Responsible for keeping overtime within budgetary targets.
- Review all run bid sheets for accuracy and appropriateness prior to posting.
- Coordinate and oversee all activities involving the use of transit vehicles.
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing organizational standards.
- Responsible for developing operational strategies and projects, implementation, and measuring results. Allocates resources efficiently, reviews project progress, and makes any necessary adjustments within certain constraints.
- As directed, responsible for adhering to a departmental budget.
- Assists in reviewing the specifications for purchasing revenue vehicles prior to the procurement.
- Works with the IT Department on the installation, modification, or change in the electronics on board the revenue vehicles or in the creation of specialized software for the Transportation Department.
- Works collaboratively with the Tulsa Transit management team, departments, outside groups and municipalities, and bus patrons.
- Promote morale within the department and generally within Tulsa Transit.
Other Job Functions:
- Conduct departmental staff meetings on regular basis to encourage and promote communication and team building.
- Participate or lead (as assigned) in senior management meetings, planning, performance improvement, budgetary, and other collaborative projects, or initiatives.
- Attend professional and educational training seminars, as necessary.
- Must report to work on a regular and timely basis.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge – Bachelor’s degree required in work-related area. A combination of knowledge and extensive experience may be considered in lieu of advanced education. Good communications and supervisory skills required. Excellent interpersonal skills are an absolute necessity. Minimum of 10 years of experience in the Transportation department of a transit agency, preferred. Must have ability to perform all department functions. Must possess good oral and written skills and be experienced in labor/union relations and contract negotiations. CDL Driver’s License with Passenger endorsement required within 90 days of hire.
Mental Effort – Requires ability to handle numerous activities at one time. Ability to understand and interpret Labor agreement essential. Demonstrated problem solving abilities are essential. Must also have ability to interact favorably with all Tulsa Transit personnel and the public.
Physical – Extensive walking and standing is required, however there are some periods of sitting during a normal workday. Requires ability to withstand exposure to negative surroundings such as uncomfortable weather conditions, dust and engine fumes. May be required to lift or push 40 lbs. Requires ability to perform hand-over-hand method of steering vehicles and be able to grip a steering wheel.
Audible/Visual Demands – Requires ability to hear telephone and directions given and visually perform essential functions for satisfactory job performance. Ability to view visual display terminal for extended periods of time.
Miscellaneous – Must be willing to work evenings, weekend, and travel to meetings when necessary. Must be safety conscious and avoid accidents if possible.
The above description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential functions, and set forth the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. EOE/AA and Drug Free.
Visit the Tulsa Transit website to apply!